Census Records : indexes, records
County and Municipal Records : marriages, divorce records, probate, court minutes, deeds, tax lists, school census records
Interlibrary Loan : policies and procedures
Legislative Acts and Petitions : Acts of Tennessee 1796-1850
Microfilm Reels : 16mm and 35mm microfilm reels
Military Records : Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Seminole War, Cherokee Removal, Mexican War, Civil War, Tennessee Confederate Pensions, Confederate Soldiers' Home Applications, Spanish American War, World War I, Militia Records
Miscellaneous Records & Materials : county histories, brief biographical sketches, Goodspeed biographical sketches, published local records, city directories, newspapers, funeral home records, postcards, Manuscript collections
Images and Microfilm Digitization : high-resolution digital images, prints and digitized microfilm from collection materials
State Records : births & deaths (state and municipal), land grants, Supreme Court, State Penitentiary Records, State Agency Record Groups, Governors Papers
Some printed indexes and microfilmed records may be available for delivery through our e-mail service. Requests to be delivered by e-mail, however, must be submitted in the same manner as our Services by Mail requests: payment in advance by check, money order or credit card is required. Send your request to Tennessee State Library and Archives, Research Department, 403 Seventh Avenue North, Nashville TN 37243-0312. If you request electronic delivery of a document, you must check the e-mail box under "Delivery Instructions". If no boxes are marked, or if more than one box is marked, the record will be photocopied and sent via US Mail.
- Records available through this service are scanned and saved as a .pdf file. Documents can only be saved as .pdfs. Patrons can download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the files.
- Records sent via e-mail service cannot be certified.
- The Library and Archives will e-mail the record to one e-mail address.
- If it is not feasible to scan the record you are requesting, a print copy will be mailed to you.
- Due to space limitations, digital copies of records will be maintained on the Library and Archives' server for 30 days. After 30 days, the digital copies of the records will be deleted from the server. Once the digital copies of the records have been deleted, they will not be available for e-mail delivery unless another request, along with the required fee, is submitted.
- Digital copies of records will be sent from the e-mail address email@example.com .
There are situations where a court, insurance company, Social Security Office, nursing home, or genealogical society may require an individual to submit a certified copy of a document. When the Tennessee State Library and Archives certifies a document, the photocopy is marked with a stamp avowing that it is a true and exact copy of a document held at the Library and Archives. The document is signed and dated by a designated Library and Archives staff member, and an embossed seal is placed over the signature and date.
- If needed, the Library and Archives can certify a copy of a record held in our collection. There is a fee of $5.00 to certify one copy of the document, in addition to the initial search fee. If you wish for more than one copy of a record to be certified, each additional certification is $5.00.
- If you think certification may be needed, please indicate this when the initial copy order is placed, as we cannot certify after-the-fact any copies that have left our facility. We cannot certify copies of items that we have not copied ourselves. If you decide at a later date that you need items certified that you have already received, we will have to charge you for the order a second time and re-copy all the materials.
- The Library and Archives cannot certify electronic copies (scans) of documents.
- If you pay in advance for a record search and certification and the record is not located, neither the search fee nor the certification fee are refundable. For this reason, when searching for a record that you wish to have certified, the Library and Archives suggests that you use our downloadable forms and pay by credit card. If you pay by credit card and a record is not located, then you will not be charged the additional $5.00 certification fee.