- Qualifications. To seek or hold the office of United States House of Representative, a person must be at least 25 years of age, a citizen of the United States for 7 years, and a Tennessee resident.
- Qualifying Petition. Candidates may obtain a nominating petition from a county election commission office or the office of the Coordinator of Elections. Petitions may be obtained no more than 90 days before the qualifying deadline date. The first day petitions may be issued for 2018 is January 5, 2018. Each page of the petition issued must be signed by the candidate and an election official and may not be photocopied. Additional pages may be obtained as necessary.
- Voters' Signatures. The nominating petition must be signed by at least twenty-five (25) voters who are registered in the candidate's house district, and the candidate. The signature of the candidate does not count towards the required twenty-five (25) signatures. Each voter who signs the petition must also supply his or her residence address as it appears on his or her voter registration record.
- Filing deadline. Primary candidates must file their nominating petitions no later than 12:00 NOON on April 5, 2018; candidates who intend to run as independents on the November ballot must also file their petitions by 12:00 NOON on April 5, 2018.
- Where to File. Primary and independent candidates must file their original nominating petition in the office of the State Election Commission and a certified duplicate in the office of the Coordinator of Elections. Both of these must be received by the qualifying deadline listed above and may be mailed to the:
Division of Elections
312 Rosa L. Parks Avenue, William R. Snodgrass Tower, 7th Floor
Nashville, Tennessee 37243
Primary candidates must also file a certified duplicate by the above qualifying deadline with the chairperson of their party's state executive committee. Therefore, each primary candidate must file one original and two certified duplicates in the respective offices. (However, primary and independent candidates for the office of United States Representative from a district located entirely in one (1) county are required to file their nominating petitions in the office of the county election commission in that county, i.e. Shelby County.) For your convenience, each state executive committee's contact information is listed below. There are no filing fees.
|State Republican Party
95 White Bridge Road, Suite 414
Nashville, TN 37205
|State Democratic Party
1900 Church Street, Suite 203
Nashville, TN 37203
- Campaign Contribution and Disclosure Filings. Candidates should contact the Federal Election Commission at (800) 424-9530 for information regarding campaign contribution and disclosure reports and filing requirements. The address is as follows:
Federal Election Commission
999 E Street, NW
Washington, DC 20463
A certified duplicate is a photocopy of the original petition with the words “This is a true copy of the original” signed by the person making the copy along with the copier’s name, title and date.
 Contact the party executive committee for any additional requirements regarding the certified duplicate.